|
|
|
The Telegram
  • DAR chapter rededicates Hoyer Hill monument

    • email print
  • The Henderson Chapter of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution conducted its first memorial service on July 18, 1963, for the seven families of the July 18, 1777, Andrustown Massacre.
    The service followed the completion of the chapter’s restoration project of the Hoyer Hill Cemetery, outside of Jordanville, and the erection of a monument to the seven families, that today looks out over the hills and valleys once known as Andrustown.
    This year, on July 30, members of the Henderson-General Nicholas Herkimer Chapter of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution conducted the 50th year rededication of the Hoyer Hill Cemetery Monument, and observed the 50th annual memorial service for the seven families.
    Patricia Sponburgh Couchman, regent, presided at the opening ceremonies, and Jane Harrod Klump, registrar and acting chaplain, led the chapter in the rededication and memorial service.
    Among chapter members attending was Florence Pierce Harrod Moore, 96, who has been a DAR member for 58 years, and was a member of the chapter at the time of the original dedication in 1963.
    The chapter conducted its July business meeting after the rededication ceremony, during which a memorial service for the charter members of the General Nicholas Herkimer Chapter took place.
      • calendar