|
|
|
The Telegram
  • Compressor belt malfunction leads to fire call

    • email print
  • The Dolgeville Volunteer Fire Department responded to an alarm at Dolgeville Central School over the weekend when one of the compressor belts malfunctioned.
    Fire Chief Randy Tennant said the department received reports of the alarm sounding at the school, at 38 Slawson St., Saturday afternoon. He said firefighters responding to the scene heard the alarm system going off and saw smoke coming from the building.
    “With our thermal cameras, we found the heat source,” he said during a telephone interview on Monday. “It was just a belt that had burned up on a compressor.”
    Tennant said smoke had filled up the technology classroom and got into the hallway.
    He said because of the location of room inside the school, it took about an hour to an hour and a half for firefighters to take care of the situation.
    Tennant and Dolgeville Central School District Superintendent Christine Reynolds said there was no damage to the building.
    “The alarm system is there for a reason,” said Reynolds. “It did what it was supposed to do.”
    In March 2012, another potential fire at the school was averted when the fire department detected several hot spots in the walls with thermal imaging equipment after a custodian working noticed a strong odor. Classes had been canceled that day due to a winter storm.
      • calendar