Members of the Herkimer Garden Club celebrated the club’s 80th anniversary with a covered dish dinner at the home of Claudia Gloo. President Maria Fiorentino thanked Judy Schad, Barbara Guiffre and Claudia Gloo for hosting the event.
Members were given a brief history of the club by Mary Macrina and Diane Talarico. The club started as an adult education horticulture program at Herkimer High School in 1933 and became a member of the federated garden clubs of New York in 1937. Over the years, the club has emphasized vegetable growth, botany studies, flower arrangement, study of birds, flower shows and decorations in nursing homes.
The club has also received awards for landscaping of properties in the village. The club has worked with young people sponsoring a Girl Scout troop, funding students to attend Department of Energy Conservation Camp and for young children the Smokey Bear Woodsy Owl Contest.
Currently the club is actively engaged in civic beautification throughout the village. After the recent flooding, the need for repairs to the gardens in the village is being assessed.
The evening concluded with Judi Lasorrella presenting a welcoming gift to new member Jacqueline White.