A recent incident that took place along the Erie Canal walking trail in the town of Lenox has prompted law enforcement to remind trail users to use precautionary measures.
The incident took place earlier this month and involved a male approaching a female jogger in a threatening manner and grabbing the jogger by her arm.
Deputies and Oneida police took the subject into custody a short time later and charged him with second-degree harassment, deputies said.
Tips when using the trail:
• Try to go in pairs, not alone.
• Vary the times of use to avoid developing a pattern.
• Carry a cell phone.
• Wear reflective outer clothing.
• Avoid areas you don’t know.
• If you enjoy listening to music while walking or jogging, make sure you leave one ear open so you can hear noises or sounds in your vicinity.
• Tell someone your route before you leave and when you will be returning.