The Mohawk Fire Department responded to two calls over the weekend, which temporarily left one family displaced, according to a fire official.
Mohawk Fire Chief Daniel Mabbett said during a telephone interview Monday his department responded to a call for a chimney fire at 37 Columbia St. Sunday night. Mabbett said it turned out to actually be a structure fire.
“[The fire] got in between the first floor wall and the wood stove wall,” he said.
Mabbett said firefighters had to take the cement chimney apart to get to the fire.
“Once we got that down, it was easy to get back at it,” he said.
Firefighters were at the scene for about two hours, said Mabbett. A pile of debris in front of the home Monday included insulation, wooden boards and other items.
Mabbett said there was “a substantial amount of damage to the room.”
At least four residents were left temporarily displaced because of the fire since power was cut from the building, said Mabbett.
No injuries were reported.
Mabbett said the fire, which started in the wood stove, was accidental.
The East Herkimer Fire Department assisted at the scene by providing mutual aid. Also at the scene were the Mohawk Municipal Commission and MOVAC.
The second fire that firefighters responded to over the weekend happened around 9 a.m. Saturday at 4 Bushnell St. Mabbett said Mohawk police notified the fire department when they saw smoke coming from the basement of the residence while on patrol.
“It was extremely hot inside the house. It was over 90 degrees,” said Mabbett, about responding to the scene.
He said the source of the smoke was a boiler that malfunctioned in the basement.
While there was no reported damage done to the home, Mabbett said the furnace would need to be replaced.
Mabbett said no one was at home at the time and no injuries were reported.
National Grid and the Mohawk Municipal Commission assisted at the scene.