The Telegram
  • Grass carp permit applications available from Herkimer Co. SWCD

    • email print
  • If you have a weed problem in your pond, you may want to consider stocking it with grass carp, according to a release from the Herkimer County Soil and Water Conservation District.
    These fish have a tremendous appetite for aquatic vegetation and can be used as a non-chemical agent to control weed growth in ponds, according to the release.
    The fish available for stocking are triploid grass carp, which means they are sterile and cannot produce viable young, according to the release.
    This non-native species of fish does not compete with native fish species that one may already have swimming around in their pond, according to the release.
    However, because these fish are not native to New York and because they have huge appetites, a permit is required from the state Department of Environmental Conservation, according to the release. The Herkimer County SWCD starts the permitting process in the fall with stocking to take place in June 2014. The permit and inspection of a pond by the DEC is free of charge, but the fish are not.
    For more information, including a permit application for stocking grass carp, contact the Herkimer County Soil and Water Conservation District at 866-2520, ext. 3, before Nov. 15.
Terms of Service

    Events Calendar