Supernatural will always be the story of Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles), but over the years the series has introduced dozens of other characters who have found beloved homes in the fandom. And on Tuesday's episode (9/8c, The CW), Sheriff Jody Mills (Kim Rhodes) returns again when she calls on the Winchesters to help investigate four missing virgins. (Hey, at least it's a step up from dating Crowley!)
Characters like Sheriff Mills add an extra element of excitement to an already stimulating series, and the following list represents the best of the best additions to the Supernatural world. This is a personal ranking, and while there are so many characters I wanted to include (Jo, Linda Tran, Meg, Tessa and Pam all spring to mind) if Sam and Dean taught us anything, it's that sometimes you have to make sacrifices.
(Note: As the third member of Team Free Will, Castiel (Misha Collins) wasn't included in this ranking because it would just be unfair to everyone else. He's obviously right up there with the Winchesters in terms of perfection.)
10. Chuck Shurley (Rob Benedict): God or no God, Chuck Shurley is great. Not only did he give us the meta-greatness that is the Winchester Gospel, but Chuck's affable, easygoing nature was a nice change of pace from the stress of stopping the apocalypse. Of course, he was also an alcoholic who wasn't above spending a buck or two on Mistress Magda, but everyone has their demons (even God).
9. Lucifer (Mark Pellegrino): There's no doubt Lucifer was a bad dude, but in his own mind, he was making the world a better place. However, his whole victim act and false sense of altruism is just "one great big temper tantrum," as Gabriel put it, after humans replaced him as God's favorite creation. But while Lucifer may be delusional, cruel and barbaric, he was a whole lot of fun to watch! It was nice to see Sam and Dean come up against someone who's as charismatic as they are even if he is the Devil.
Page 2 of 4 - 8. Benny (Ty Olsson): Dean was already busy juggling two bromances with Sam and Cas when he met Benny, but there was something about this charming Southern vamp that made him realize there's always room for one more. Sure, Benny's introduction further drove a wedge between my beloved Sam and Dean, but Dean doesn't give bear hugs to just anyone. That embrace made it clear that Benny was something special, and I couldn't help but be happy Dean had found a friend who could understand what he went through in Purgatory.
7. Balthazar (Sebastian Roche): Even though he was an angel, there was always something very human about Balthazar. He was jaded, bitter, impetuous, hedonistic and had major daddy issues - not exactly the things angels are typically made of (okay, maybe the daddy issues part). And while Balthazar played around with moral ambiguity, in the end he did want to do good. Unfortunately, this cost him his life - and our access to his amazing quips.
6. Jody Mills: Bobby might be gone, but every time Jody returns it feels like part of him does too. The Sheriff brought out a different side of Bobby, and it's a shame their relationship was cut off before we got to see more of them together. But potential romance aside, Sheriff Mills is a great character in her own right. In the man's world that is Supernatural, it's nice to see a strong, funnyliving woman who's nearly as as tough as the brothers.
5. Kevin Tran (Osric Chau): We all know family doesn't end with blood, and we were ecstatic when Dean finally made Kevin an honorary Winchester this season. Though the overachieving student-turned-prophet initially never wanted a part of this world, Kevin has since adapted and proved he has everything it takes to be part of the Winchester family: wit, courage, honor and most of all, loyalty. Plus, he's nice to look at!
4. Charlie Bradbury (Felicia Day): Supernatural has such a dedicated following, and thereforeit's nice to see a fangirl positively represented in the series (Becky wasn't exactly the things heroes are made of). Charlie is smart, passionate, funny and incredibly brave. And she isn't just content to watch adventures play out in front of her. Charlie loves to just jump right in the action! I think Dean said it best: Charlie's the little sister we never knew we wanted. Aww!
Page 3 of 4 - Supernatural Cheat Sheet: What to expect in Season 9
3. Bobby Singer (Jim Beaver): Bobby is a near-perfect human being. His love for Sam and Dean makes every fans' heart Grinch (grow three sizes, that is). The fellow hunter, friend and father figure may be rough around the edges, but inside Bobby's one big lovable marshmallow. Ever since his heartbreaking death in Season 7 though, all of Bobby's beyond-the-grave appearances are verging on overkill (pun totally intended). Sometimes, what's dead should stay dead. At least for a full season.
2. Gabriel (Richard Speight Jr.): The Trickster, Loki, Gabriel - I don't care what you call this archangel, this prankster puts Jimmy Kimmel to shame. He's also given us some ofSupernatural's most memorable episodes ("Mystery Spot," "Changing Channels"). And though the way Gabriel mischievously antagonizes the brothers borders on sadism, he drops some serious knowledge along the way. Who can forget when he told a tearful Sam that his love for Dean is gonna be the death of him. Oh, and need I mention the costumes?!
1. Crowley (Mark Sheppard): It's crazy to imagine that we didn't know Crowley until Season 5. While Azazel and Lilith were admirable Big Bads, it wasn't until we got the one-two-punch of Lucifer and Crowley that I really became enamored with Supernatural's foes (though Crowley has since been partially neutered by the trials). But even before Crowley came down with a bad case of the feels, he had an integrity, insecurity and wit about him that are hard not to love. Yet just when Crowley's banter lulls me into a false sense of security - and attraction - he does something so cruel, so merciless that I'm forced to remember he's the King of Hell. It's this unpredictability that keeps me on my toes and totally enamored with him.
Also, he did this:
Gifs courtesy of: born to be a prophet, hovercrafted, ekotori, mary-winchester, ourhearth, knight-of-moondor, geekmayhemforall, tink1978 and magic-fake
Page 4 of 4 - Supernatural airs Tuesdays at 9/8c on The CW.
(Full Disclosure: TVGuide.com is owned by CBS, one of The CW's parent companies.)
View original The 10 Best Supernatural Characters at TVGuide.com