ILION — The Henderson-General Nicholas Herkimer Chapter of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution has commissioned folk artist James Parker of Ilion to do a painting of “Andrustown, NY,” the settlement of Palatine Germans destroyed in the July 18, 1778 massacre by Indians who fought with the British during the American Revolution.
The original Henderson Chapter was named for the Henderson Patent originally granted to a Dr. Henderson who was a doctor who fought with the British in the French and Indian War. It was from Dr. Henderson the German settlers bought their land, promising to name it Henderson town in the doctor’s honor. The German settlers did not speak English, and over the years the town’s name gradually sounded more like Andrustown, and Andrustown it remained. The Henderson Chapter began restoring and taking care of the Hoyer Hill and Crim family cemeteries, where the Andrustown settlers are buried. In 1987, the Henderson Chapter hired surveyor John H. Fimmano to survey Andrustown, and so a map of Andrustown and the cemeteries was made.
Parker will work from the survey map, current photographs of the area, photographs of log homes and barns, his own visits to the area and from his knowledge of the people, land, history and building practices of the Mohawk Valley and Central New York state.
The chapter committee will meet again with Parker, when he has completed his initial sketches.