Travel Italy: A dream tour for those who appreciate the dolce vita
Whether you're an architecture buff, a fan of the fine arts, an aficionado of urban design or find yourself fascinated by natural wonders, a tour of Italy's classic sites will capture your senses. With so many must-see places to explore in Italy, reserving a spot on a guided tour is the perfect way to travel Italy
- and even get you a behind-the-scenes look at some of the country's most fabled destinations.
For example, Tauck's tour of Venice, Florence and Rome will take you from the picturesque lakes of the Italian Alps to the canals of Venice with a one-of-a-kind look at the Vatican and Sistine Chapel all in 10 days. When you book a tour like this, all accommodations and travel are taken care of, so you can focus entirely on connecting with people and places. Set your sights on some of these not-to-miss destinations when you travel Italy:
* Italian lake country. Travel north from the cosmopolitan metropolis of Milan and you'll soon find yourself immersed in beautiful countryside that gives way to the breathtaking lakes of the Italian Alps. Hop across the border to the Italian-speaking city of Lugano, Switzerland, which sits on the shores a sparkling lake splashed with a mountainous backdrop. Back across the border, the dramatic shores of the winding Lake Como are home to beautiful lakeside villas and some of Italy's most charming villages.
* Venice. As you travel Italy, a visit to the floating city of Venice will allow you to experience romance in its purest form, by taking a leisurely tour on the city's famed gondolas or simply taking a stroll to admire the marriage of land and water displayed through Venetian architecture. Bask in the Byzantine wonders at St. Mark's Basilica or view the famous works of art at the Doge's Palace.
* Florence. Once at the center of the Renaissance, Florence offers the opportunity for visitors to view some of the most famous original works from Leonardo da Vinci, Raphael, Michelangelo and Sandro Botticelli, including the famous David in Florence's Galleria dell'Accademia. Architectural wonders include the Uffizi Gallery, Pitti Palace, Medici Chapels and Boboli Gardens, many which can be found along the historic centre of Florence, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
* Rome. From northern Italy, you can travel to Rome through the famed vineyards and olive gardens of Tuscany, Umbria and Lazio. Then spend a few days exploring the center of one of the most powerful empires in human history. While you travel Italy, take in the Vatican, from Michelangelo's frescos on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel (Tauck has the ultimate visit, after-hours without the crowds) to the vast and awe-inspiring St. Peter's Basilica. You'll also want to travel to other famed sites like the Roman Forum, Piazza Venezia, Circus Maximus and of course the Colosseum - where you can avoid the lines with pre-arranged reservations through Tauck's tour offerings.
For more information on Italy travel and tours, visit www.tauck.com.