For those who don’t want to send their children to the new merged Ilion-Mohawk schools, there are options:
* Avondale Rise Christian Academy: Private Christian school in Utica, grades kindergarten through 12; opened last fall and currently has 21 students; tuition is $2,400 per year for kindergarten, $2,700 for grades first through eighth, $3,000 for grades ninth through 12th (currently being re-evaluated and could decrease next year).
* Herkimer Central School District: Public school in Herkimer for all grade levels; students would have to apply for nonresident status and would be accepted pending Board of Education approval; tuition is based on a state formula and could vary based on student need.
* Frankfort-Schuyler Central School District: Public school in Frankfort for all grade levels; students must apply and enrollment at the district’s discretion; tuition for grades kindergarten through fifth is $3,400 per school year, and sixth through 12th is $3,650 per school year.
* Mohawk Valley Christian Academy: Private school in Little Falls; grades kindergarten through 12th; tuition is $2,750 per student per year; however, it varies based on the number of students enrolled per family.
* Notre Dame: Catholic elementary and junior-senior high school in Utica; tuition grades kindergarten through sixth is $3,800 per year, grades seventh and eighth are $4,300 per year, and ninth through 12th is $5,300 per year, all not including fees.
* St. Francis de Sales Regional Catholic School: Private elementary school in Herkimer; tuition for grades kindergarten through sixth is $420.50 per month per child for 10 months; pre-kindergarten classes range from $39 per month for a one-day 2-year-old program to $320 per month for all day 4-year-old program.
* Utica City School District: Public school in Utica; students must apply and it’s up to the district to decided whether they can accept nonresidents for example based on class sizes; tuition changes every year and is $1,242 per year for elementary school students and $2,274 for seventh through 12th grades.