President Barack Obama and Mitt Romney took the stage in Colorado on Wednesday night for the first of their three debates. Here are the highlights.
President Barack Obama and Mitt Romney took the stage in Colorado on Wednesday night for the first of their three debates. Here are the highlights:
- There were no major surprises at the debate, and the candidates hardened their stances on taxes, jobs, debt reduction and more.
- Obama compared Romney's ecomonic policies to those of President George W. Bush. Romney, meanwhile, hit on the message that the national debt has increased under Obama and that he hasn't created jobs.
- One of Obama's biggest lines of the night was accusing Romney of not offering details. He said, “At some point, I think the American people have to ask themselves, is the reason Gov. Romney is keeping all these plans to replace secret – is it because they’re too good? Is it because middle-class families are going to benefit too much from them?”
- One of Romney's biggest lines was when he attacked Obama about jobs. He said, "You raised taxes and you killed jobs.”
- A CNN poll found that 67 percent of people thought Romney won; 25 percent said they thought Obama won.
Scroll below to see video reports from the debate.
GateHouse News Service