This week’s suggestions include seeing “Frankenweenie” or another new movie, celebrating National Storytelling Weekend, watching the baseball playoffs and more.
1. Among the new movies opening this week are “Taken 2,” a PG-13 thriller starring Liam Neeson (who starred in the first “Taken”); “Frankenweenie,” an animated PG film by Tim Burton; “Butter,” an R comedy starring Jennifer Garner; “V/H/S,” an R horror film; “The Paperboy,” an R thriller starring Matthew McConaughey, Nicole Kidman, John Cusack and Zac Efron; and “Pitch Perfect,” a PG-13 musical comedy.
2. This weekend is National Storytelling Weekend, a weekend to, obviously, tell stories. Read to your kids, have your kids read to you, read to people at nursing homes or whatever you desire. Also check your library to see if they’re holding special events.
3. Saturday is Mad Hatter Day, a holiday created in honor of the Mad Hatter from “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland,” who in the illustrations by John Tenniel, wears a hat that says “10/6.” This is a day to be nonsensical, crazy and impulsive – like the Mad Hatter!
4. October is here, so don’t forgot to decorate for Halloween! You can get the kids involved by making cutout pumpkins or ghosts, or you can start carving your Jack-o-lanterns. And don’t forget to get (or make) costumes!
5. There are a lot of sports events this weekend: The MLB playoffs kick off Friday with two wild card games, there are plenty of football games (NFL and college) and more. Check your TV guide for more information.
GateHouse News Service